Tuesday, March 17, 2020

March Announcements

Sonata Contest Results


I had 9 music students participate in the Pensacola Music Teachers Association Sonata Contest at UWF on Saturday, March 7. This year 485 students and 55 teachers from the area participated in the contest in piano, voice, strings, woodwind, brass, and percussion.

First Place 

Sophia Cowart – Piano 2A
Hadassah Cowart – Piano 3B
Reena Lin - Piano 6B
Landon Varela – Piano 3C
Olivia Varela – Piano 4A

Third Place 
Jackson Cowart – Piano 4B
Rachel Hedaria - Piano 6B

Honorable Mention (10)
Alek Agustin - Piano 4A

Participation (5)
Chris Dunham – Piano 7A


Remote Lessons


During this time of school closure I am transitioning to web-based music lessons. I will let you know when my school reopens and we can resume face-to-face lessons. Here's what that will look like for now. I will be available during our regular lesson time. If that is a problem, please let me know, as I cannot be “on call” all day long. Once a lesson time is established, that is the time I will be prepared to teach. Missing that time would be just like being absent from a lessons. If you choose not to participate in these remote lessons, you can submit a video of your student playing his assignment, and I will reply with feedback and the following week's assignment.


    Student Guidelines for Remote Lessons
1. Space Set Up
  • The camera should be set up to give a side view of the student seated at the piano so the teacher can see the students full arm and hand.
  • The lesson space should be well lit and free of all other distractions (pets, siblings, etc).
2. Connection Platform
  • Be prepared to use Zoom, Skype, or Facetime for lesson connections, based on a mutually agreed upon platform.
3. Materials Needed
  • All lesson books and materials should be at the piano, as well as a writing utensil. A phone or computer with an internal camera will be needed, as well as an internet connection.

4. Other Factors
  • Be sure the student is ready promptly at the lesson start time. Students should be prepared to focus on the lesson for the entire duration.
  • An adult should be present at the start and end of the lesson. It is recommended that children under the age of 8 have an adult present for the entire lesson.



While this is different than our usual routine, I am excited to still progress with your student in learning more about music. Let me know if I can be of any help. I will contact you individually about setting up a lesson time.