Monday, August 5, 2019

Back to School

Hello Friends,

We are approaching back to school time. Here are some things to start thinking about.

1. New year. Let's all purpose to start this year energized and enthusiastic. I go to conferences to come back with new ideas and new excitement. Let's not just make this "just another year of piano."  Parents of younger students, your child needs you. They need you to sit with them, check up on them, keep them on track. Their success relies heavily on you. We have a huge responsibility. Parents with older students, your child needs you too, just in a different way. Please don't be hands off. Follow up behind them, ask to hear what they're working on. Chances if you don't know what they're playing, they're not doing it.

2. Prepare for our first lesson back. I sent out e-mails with your assigned day and time for the school year. If you didn't get that, please contact me. Dig out those binders and books. I strongly recommend a piano bag. It shouldn't be a question of which books to bring to a lessons. They should all be together. Bring all the books I've assigned, and I'll decide which ones we use each lesson.

3. The Piano. Don't forget about piano tuning! Every acoustic piano needs to be tuned minium once a year. If you don't have a tuner, I suggest Nathan Witter. (850)-384-0712. He's my tuner and does a great job. I'd love to see all my students move to acoustic pianos. Some like to start off with digitals. There are lots of great uses for them, but it can never do all that an acoustic piano can do. Maybe this is the year you choose to upgrade. Blues Angel Music Store has a back to school sale. Craigslist has pianos for sale. I'd be glad to help you if you'd like when you are ready to get an acoustic.

4. My Website. Look through the calendar and punch in dates now. Some are TBA but some are already on there. When you fill out the registration form, you agree to reading through the Studio Policies for that year. Please take the time to read it, so we can have a successful year.

5. My Music Staff. If you have problems or questions with invoices, let me know as soon as possible. Invoices go out a week before they are due. They are always due the first of the month. A late fee automatically hits after the fifth of the month. Please use the "Click Here to Pay Online" button on the invoice. That is my preferred method. That automatically logs your payment. If you just send a paypal payment, MMS doesn't know to record a payment. It'll save me time if you would use the button on the invoice.

6. Requirements. The Studio Policies will let you know what is expected of my students concerning which events to participate in, which lessons to register for, and how much to practice.

I can't wait to see your child grow this year as a musician.